You are here


  • Can I participate in a telephonic hearing?

    Yes, the hearing notice is located on the docket. Go into the case, click on the hearing notice and follow the instructions.  You will need to call the toll Free Call In Number, provide the access code and also the participant security code.  Please review the courtroom protocol prior to the telephonic hearing.  On the docket sheet, click on the hearing notice and follow the instruction.

  • What if I don't have enough money to pay the filing fee?


    Individual debtors may request permission from the Court to pay the filing fee in installments.  ALL payments must be made within 90 days after the filing of the petition.  If the debtor fails to pay the required fee,  the case may be dismissed.  
    Chapter 7 debtors who meet the requirements may request that the court waive the filing fee using an Application for Waiver of the Chapter 7 Filing Fee.
  • Will attorneys be able to access the CM/ECF system after the court's regular business hours to file cases and review documents/docket sheets?

    The system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the exception of occasional system maintenance.

  • How do I contact the court?

    Please click here for the Staff Directory which includes the street and mailing address of each Clerk's Office.  NOTE: Judges cannot be reached directly.  If you have a question or comment for one of the judges, please contact a member of the staff or write to them at the appropriate address.

  • Where should I file my petition?

    All documents relating to a bankruptcy case, include the peition, must be filed at the clerk's office located in the vicinage in which the debtor resides (if the debtor is an individual), or in which the debtor has its principal place of business.  There are two location, Omaha, 111 South 18th Plaza, Suite 1125, Omaha, NE 68102 and Lincoln, 460 Federal Building, 100 Centennial Mall North, Lincoln NE 68508.

  • What chapter should I file?

    There are six basic bankruptcy cases.  For descriptions of each chapter click here.   The staff of the Clerk’s Office is prohibited under U.S.C.§ 955 from providing legal advice.  For more information on filing bankruptcy click here to access our Filing Without an Attorney page.

  • How do I file in the bankruptcy court if I am an out-of state attorney?

    When an out-of-state attorney wishes to appear in a particular case (Motion for Admission Pro Hac Vice), an "Application for Admission Pro Hac Vice"  must be filed with the District Court.  A District Court Judge must admit attorneys.  An attorney admission fee of $50.00 is no longer due to the District Court unless the attorney wishes to be admitted to practice in all cases. 

    Click here to obtain documents regarding Pro Hac Vice from the District Court website. 

  • How can I find out information about an open case?

    There are several ways to obtain case information.

    Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER)  - Complete docket information and images of documents (including basic information relative to archived cases), may be viewed and/or printed by using PACER.  Effective April 1, 2012, the cost per page has been increased to .10 per page.  To utilize PACER, you must first register with the Pacer Service Center.  For more information, please contact the Pacer Service Center.
    Pacer Service Center
    P.O. Box 780549
    San Antonio, TX 78278-0549
    Telephone : (800) 676-6856
    COURTHOUSE ACCESS -  Public computers are available in each clerk’s office to view or pint imaged documents, docket sheets or forms.  The fee for printing from  public terminals are .10 per page.   The public computers cannot access Digital Audio recording, so you will need to contact your attorney or request a transcript of a court hearing.  Effective May 1, 2012, we will no longer accept cash for copies.  .
    TELEPHONE ACCESS - Our Voice Case Information System (VCIS) allows callers to access limited information (ie, debtor, case number, judge, date filed, chapter, attorney, trustee, where there are assets, and case status - such as discharge date and closed date) about a case, free of charge 24 hours a days, seven days a week, from any touch tone telephone, by contacting toll free @ 1-866-222-8029.
  • What is the difference between credit counseling and financial management courses? Are they mandatory and if so, when should I take them?


    All individual debtors must obtain Credit Counseling BEFORE filing for bankruptcy.  Click here to access a list of approved Credit Counseling.
    To be eligible for a discharge, all individuals debtors in a chapter 7, 11 and 13 must take a Financial Management Course WHILE THE CASE IS PENDING.  Click here to access a list of approved Financial Management Courses § 1141(d)(3).
  • Who gets a copy of my discharge?

    All creditors and parties in interest in your case will receive a copy of the discharge.  You will also receive a copy of your records.

  • Must I attend the meeting of creditors?

    Yes, debtors must attend the Meeting of Creditors.  This meeting is also refereed to as the First Meeting, First Meeting of Creditors or Sections 341 Meeting.  It is conducted by the trustee assigned to your case and will be held at the courthouse or held at a location other than our courthouse. 

  • Do I need to hire an attorney to file bankruptcy?

    While it is possible to file a bankruptcy case Pro Se, that is, without the assistance of an attorney, it is highly recommended to hire an attorney.  If you are unable to afford an attorney, you may quality for free legal advice or representation.  The Court and members of the Clerk’s office staff cannot recommend a lawyer.  You can find additional information regarding legal assistance/services in the ProSe Debtor’s Guide located @  There are no limitations for either function.